Fragment of an article on PTA.ORG:
National PTA has teamed up with LifeLock to bridge the conversation gap about digital safety, promote digital citizenship and share the awesome ways families and friends can inspire each other to use technology in positive ways to help others. Helping our children maximize smarter, safer, more rewarding decisions online will go far in reducing everyone’s stress levels when it comes to the use of technology.
Here are five ways we can start:
- Share your thoughts but don’t share personal info (i.e., address, phone number).
- Follow the rules of the site or app and check privacy settings often.
- A virtual friend is still a stranger. Never make plans to meet up offline.
- Block, delete or hide people who bring you down. Tell a trusted adult if you feel in danger.
- Unplug or power down when walking or driving.
National PTA has built a central online hub of expert information about digital safety, as well as activation tools for students, parents, PTAs and schools to participate in a campaign that we call #ShareAwesome. Shareawesomenow.org was built in collaboration with expert advisors from ConnectSafely.org and Common Sense Media. Our hope is that you will use these tools to create a sustained, multi-faceted conversation between parents and students that, hopefully, will allow students to participate in, and steer, the conversation by creating content themselves.
LifeLock is a financial sponsor of National PTA.National PTA does not endorse any commercial entity, product, or service, and no endorsement is implied by this content.